Those who are planning to get an alcohol license in Qatar, here are a few tips that will guide you about where to get a liquor permit so you can purchase and drink legally.
The sole importer and retailer of alcohol in the country is Qatar Distribution Company. They have two shops and are the only places which alcohol can be purchased. A permit is needed to purchase a wide range of beverages, it must be hidden from sight and taken straight to home after buying. A person can purchase alcohol with a certain amount depending on their salary each month.
Address: Nr Qatar Technical College, Street 688, Al Maamoura, Doha
Telephone no. 4469 9412
Qatar Alcohol License
Law about Alcohol
- It is illegal to import alcohol into the country. At the arrivals hall of Doha airport, all luggage is scanned
- Drinking alcohol in public places or being drunk is an offense. People who commit this can be deported, fined or receive prison sentences. Corporal punishment may be subjected to Muslims who are caught breaking this law
- Transporting alcohol within the country is not allowed, except to bring it home after purchasing from the warehouse on the day it was bought
- Offering alcohol to Muslims and minors is an offense
- Selling, donating and giving alcohol is illegal
- OFWs residing in Qatar can purchase alcohol via a permit system. Licensed restaurants and hotels may sell alcohol to non-Muslim adult customers in restricted areas
Permit Application for Alcohol
Qatar Distribution Company conducts the alcohol permits and application forms can be attained in their shop. In order to enter the shop, a permit must be shown. To apply for an alcohol permit, you should write a letter which must be signed and stamped by an authorized person within your company and addressed to Qatar Distribution Company with the following information:
- Applicant’s position within their company
- Applicant’s basic salary. A minimum basic salary to get a permit is 4,000 Riyals or 1,100 USD
- Where the applicant receives an accommodation entitlement or has free accommodation
- Where the applicant is married
- Applicant must fill out the application form to get the permit, state their religion and pay a returnable deposit
Additional required documents:
- A passport, or equivalent identification (photocopy is accepted)
- A residence permit (photocopy is accepted)
Driving when drunk or with a consumption of Alcohol
Driving under the influence of alcohol is not acceptable in Qatar, custodial sentences ranging from 1 month to 3 years, a fine or both await to those who commit an offense and may also be deported. If a police file is opened against people who commit an offense with the consumption of alcohol when driving is not allowed to leave the country until the case against them is resolved.
Living in an Islamic country is not that difficult, we just have to show respect and behave in a manner that will not hurt the religious beliefs or culture of the country, especially during Ramadan. In Qatar, alcohol is legal but there are rules and laws that we need to follow and how it is consumed.