As December rolls around, the whole country prepares to celebrate Qatar National Day in December 18. Qatar commemorates its 138th year. Everywhere, the Qatar flag is displayed, even on cars and other vehicles.
The parade and fireworks display will take place in Al Corniche Street, while most of the activities and shows will be in Darb Al Saai festive tent. There will be plenty to do during the public holiday. Hotels and other places outside the city will join in the celebration.
Qatar National Day Celebrations
The Qatar National Day is held to commemorate the country unification in 1878. It is also called Founder’s Day, and is held annually. This year’s theme is Promise of Prosperity and Glory.
Darb Al Saai festive tent is the center of action. As early as December 9, shows and other activities have been held there. Participants coming from both government and non-government organizations have booths that are sure to entertain and educate the whole family.
Here are some of the things to do at Darb Al Saai:
- Eat authentic Qatar cuisine
- Shop for clothes or souvenirs at the Souq Waqif area
- Let the little ones enjoy the small zipline at the play area or ride a horse and camel
- Look at the animals such as Sand Gazelles, partridges and falcons
- Participate in activities and games related to military services
- Ride the small train that tours around the whole area
- Enjoy interactive activities at some of the government ministry tents
Guests can come as early as 8 AM to 12 noon for the morning session. Meanwhile, the evening session is from 4 PM to 10 PM. For reference, here is the schedule for families and other guests:
Activities for December 18
The National Day parade will be held from 7 – 8 AM at Al Corniche. Other cultural celebrations and sports events will be held from 2:40 to 10 PM. The seven venues were these will be held are: Wakra Sports Club, Barwa Al Baraha, Labour City, Asian Town, Cricket Match, Rayyan Sports Club, and Barwa Workers Recreation Complex, Al-Khor.
Some of the events to look forward to are:
- Cultural and musical performances from the Asian communities – Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Nepalese, Sri Lankan, Filipino, Indonesian and Malaysian
- Performances by students from 18 Asian schools
- Harley Davidson motor biles and Mawater classic car shows
- 2 km long fun run by the Filipino Community in Rayyan Stadium, which will start at 1 PM
- Free blood sugar screening for 16,000 workers at Asian Town, can be availed within 8 hours