Qatar is home to several domestic helpers. Most Filipinos go to the Gulf State for this line of work. In case you are wondering how to work as a domestic worker in this country, please follow these tips and guidelines below.
For first-time applicants, the procedure could be confusing. If you are interested, it is best to find out how you can succeed in your application.
Follow These Steps To Find Work
If you are determined to get a job as a domestic helper, you can try applying for a position in Qatar. Keep in mind that applying for a job abroad can be complicated, especially if this is your first time. But you don’t have to worry because you will learn all of these procedures when you take the time to learn.
This YouTube video from Hayam Venus gives easy-to-follow tips for those who are looking for a job:
- Go to the Philippine Overseas Employment Agency (POEA) or to its website to look for a licensed employment agency. It would be better to look for an employment agency nearest you, so it will be easier to get there. It is also advisable to look for an agency that is POEA-accredited because it is legitimate. You know that you can get assistance in case you get in trouble abroad.
- Prepare your resume, valid government ID, birth certificate, and NBI clearance for travel abroad. The NBI clearance should have a red ribbon, as required by the Qatari government. The requirements in Qatar may be different from other countries in the Middle East. After preparing the documents, the agency will call you for an interview. You may need to prepare your answers for these questions: details about you, verify information stated in your resume, how many children will be left behind, and who will watch over these children. Answer these questions truthfully to succeed in your interview.
- When you pass the interview, you will be advised to get your medical exam. This exam is required to see whether the applicant is healthy and can meet the rigors of the job requirements abroad.
- Upon passing the medical exam, you will apply for a passport. The agency will shoulder the cost for this, as well as all the other processing fees for those applying as a domestic helper. You must be willing to find work because you might have to reimburse all the expenses if you back out.
- Next is to undergo training at Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA). The employment agency will set your schedule for training. The skills you will learn here are important, because you will use these for work. Learn from these lessons so that you can get a certificate at the end of the training period.
- You will also undergo training at the Overseas Workers Welfare Association. For this part, you will learn about the culture and local practices. You will also learn common Arabic words. You will also receive a manual that you can bring along with you when you go to Qatar. You will also have a list of contact numbers where you can ask for help should the need arise.
- Next is the Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS) where you can learn more about what it means to work abroad. You will receive some reading materials to help you. At the end of the orientation, you will also get a certificate.
- Once you have accomplished most of the requirements, you will then be called for contract signing. Be sure to read and understand the contents before you sign.
- Wait for the visa and plane ticket.
- Once you are in Qatar, remember that you are representing your country. Always be in your good behavior so that you will not tarnish the reputation of your kababayans.
Watch the full video here:
Disclaimer: The information posted here is based on the personal experiences that the OFW shared on the video. Please let this post serve as a guide only. If you have specific questions, you may ask the OFW by commenting on their video on their accounts.
May these tips guide you in getting a job for yourself. Always deal with legitimate employment agencies so that your efforts will not go to waste.