In most parties, you are sure to find lumpiang shanghai or spring rolls in the buffet spread. This fried dish is versatile; it can be an appetizer or part of the main course.
ALSO READ: 10 Favorite Filipino Restaurants in Qatar
Preparing lumpiang shanghai can be time-consuming for some. But once you get the hang of it, it will be a breeze to prepare it. Just have all the ingredients ready so you can work continuously.
Lumpia Shanghai Recipe: Four Easy Steps to Follow
Whether you are preparing for a party, or just for your family, add this recipe to your menu. You can store the uncooked rolls in the freezer, where it will be ready for cooking anytime you feel like it.
For the wrapper and cooking:
- 50 pieces lumpia wrapper
- 3 cups cooking oil
For the filling:
- 1 ½ lbs ground chicken
- 2 pcs onion, minced
- 2 pcs carrots, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a bowl. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Scoop 1 to 1 ½ teaspoon of the filling and place over a lumpia wrapper. Spread the filling, and then fold both sides and bottom of the wrapper. Brush beaten egg on the lumpia wrapper to seal. Another option is to spread a small amount of water on the edge of the wrapper to seal it. Repeat this step until the entire wrapper and fillings are used.
- Deep fry the lumpia to ensure that the filling will be cooked well. To do this, heat the cooking oil. When the heat is at medium temperature, drop the rolls in the frying pan or any cooking pot. The cooking oil should be enough to cover the entire surface of the lumpia. Wait for the lumpia to float to know that it is cooked.
- Remove from heat. Drain excess oil before serving.
Lumpiang shanghai is best served with dipping You can buy commercial sweet and sour sauce or make it yourself. Other options are banana catsup and flavored vinegar (with pepper and chili).
For a healthier version, you can add chopped malunggay leaves to the filling. This will be useful for feeding children who do not like to eat vegetables. Since the leaves will be chopped to small pieces, the children wouldn’t notice the added vegetable to their food.
You don’t have to cook all the lumpia rolls that you prepared. Just get what you need, and the rest can be stored in the freezer. Make sure that the container is tight so that the lumpia will not have freezer burns.