One of the most popular Filipino desserts is leche flan. It is usually served during town fiestas and other important occasions. But lately, you can buy ready-to-eat leche flan in some food stores.
ALSO READ: How to Cook Lumpiang Sariwa
But if you can prepare it at home, it is much better because you can cook as much as you can. You can even customize the shape of your flan if you like.
Get the Steamer Ready
The egg is the main ingredient of leche flan. After you mix all the other ingredients, you need to steam the mixture and you’re good to go. Here are the ingredients:
- 10 pieces eggs
- 1 can (or 14 oz condensed milk)
- 1 cup fresh milk or evaporated milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Llanera (or mold) for steaming
- Separate the yolk from the egg white for all the eggs. We will only use the egg yolk.
- Place the egg yolks in a big bowl. Beat them using an egg whisk or fork or egg beater.
- Pour the condensed milk and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the fresh milk or evaporated milk. Add the vanilla extract. Mix well. Set aside.
- Put about a spoonful of sugar in the llanera. Heat the llanera in low fire until the sugar turns into caramel. Spread the caramel around the molder. Do this to all the llanera.
- Wait for about 5 minutes before pouring the leche flan mixture. Fill up to half of the llanera.
- Cover the top of the llanera using aluminum foil.
- Steam the mixture for 30 to 35 minutes.
- After steaming, let the temperature cool down and then refrigerate.
- It is now ready for serving.
The metal llanera comes in different sizes. You will be using about 10 llanera when cooking. If you will be using a smaller molder, then you will expect to use more. Do not fill the container to the brim because the leche flan mixture expands when cooked.
Ceramic bowl or glass bowl are good alternatives to a metal llanera. You just need to melt the sugar in a separate cooking pot before pouring into glass bowls. You can also add about 15 minutes to the cooking time especially if the bowls are thicker.
If you think it is difficult to separate the egg yolk from the egg white, there are available egg separators in the market. Meanwhile, you can use egg whites to create a meringue. Or use these as part of your beauty routine.
Leche flan can be enjoyed by itself. Or you can mix it with ice cream, and other desserts.
READ NEXT: How to Cook “Sinigang na Salmon”