If you are looking for another healthy meal, why not try cooking lumpiang sariwa? It will make a perfect appetizer for your meal.
ALSO READ: How to Cook Lumpiang Shanghai
Also known as fresh spring rolls, this is healthy because it is mainly filled with vegetables. More importantly, the ingredients are cheap and can easily be found in the produce section of the supermarket.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Cooking Lumpiang Sariwa
Here are the ingredients for the filling:
1 small onion, chopped
1 small garlic, chopped
¼ kilo ground chicken (or beef)
1 tsp ground pepper
1 medium-sized potato (cut into strips)
1 small carrot (cut into strips)
1 large sweet potato or camote (cut into strips)
1 pc commercial seasoning mix
2 tbsp fish sauce (or salt) to taste
1/8 kg green beans (cut into strips)
1 medium-sized turnip or singkamas (cut into strips)
1 medium-sized cabbage (cut into strips)
- Saute onion, garlic and ground chicken or beef.
- Add ground pepper. Cover and cook for a few minutes.
- Add potato, then carrots.
- Add sweet potato, then commercial seasoning mix (if desired).
- Add fish sauce or salt
- Cover and cook for a few minutes or until the vegetables become tender
- Once the potato and sweet potato become tender, add green beans
- Add turnip. Then pour water
- Cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes
- Lastly, add cabbage
- Once cooked, set aside and let it cool.
How to Prepare Lumpiang Sariwa Sauce
2 cups water
½ cup brown sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
¼ cup cassava flour (cornstarch)
Pinch of salt
- In a pot, mix all ingredients well until flour dissolves. Turn on the heat.
- Once boiling, stir continuously until it becomes slightly thick (around 5 to 7 minutes cooking time)
How to Prepare Homemade Lumpia Wrapper
2 pcs eggs
1 cup water
3 tbsp vegetable oil
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup cornstarch
Pinch of salt
- Mix well, use a whisk. Make sure there are no lumps
- Lightly grease the pan
- Pour a scoop of the mixture and quickly swirl it around the pan
- The mixture cooks fast so you have to be quick
- Once the bottom is cooked it’s time to flip
- Slowly flip it from the edge
- When the bottom becomes slightly brown it’s done
- Remove from the pan and let it cool
How to Assemble Lumpiang Sariwa Ingredients
- Lay the wrapper flat and put the vegetable fillings
- Gently roll and wrap
- Put lettuce in one end (optional) and continue to wrap
- Serve with homemade sauce
- Garnish with chopped peanut and/or garlic
You can try adding other ingredients. Just make sure these are cut into strips so that these cook easily. By itself, lumpiang sariwa is already filling. So this could be good to eat if you are trying to lose some weight.