One of the Filipino traditions is to cook a noodle dish during birthdays because it signifies long life. Thus, during birthdays, pancit or spaghetti is always served.
ALSO READ: How to Cook Lumpiang Shanghai
Pancit is a good dish to prepare because it contains vegetables. You can also customize which vegetables to include, depending on what’s available in the supermarket.
Easy Steps to Prepare Pancit Canton
Whether there’s an important occasion or not, why not try cooking pancit? For this post, we will be cooking pancit canton. It is one of the numerous varieties of pancit.
- Cooking oil
- 8 pieces snow peas, ends trimmed
- 8 pieces large shrimps, peeled and deveined
- 7 or 8 pieces fish balls (or chicken balls), cut in half
- 6 ounces sweet hamonado or longganisa or Chinese sausage, sliced thinly
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- About 1 cup pork, sliced
- About 1 cup boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh, sliced thinly
- 1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
- ½ bunch kinchay (or Chinese celery), chopped
- 1 head cabbage, sliced into strips
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 packages pancit canton noodles
- In a wok over high heat, heat about 1 tablespoon oil. Add the snow peas, stir regularly for about 30 minutes. Remove from the wok, and drain on paper towels.
- Heat about one tablespoon oil. Add shrimps; stir for about 2 to 3 minutes or until the shrimp turns pink. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add the hamonado. Stir for about 1 or 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from wok.
- Saute onion and garlic in the wok. Add oil when needed. Add pork and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add chicken, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Continue to cook until chicken and pork re fully cooked.
- Add soy sauce and oyster sauce, stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add carrots, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add kinchay and cabbage and continue to cook for about 1 minute or until the vegetables are tender but still crispy.
- Add the pancit canton noodles and gently toss to combine. Cook, tossing gently until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the shrimp, fish balls, sausages, and snow peas. Gently toss to combine. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through and noodles are al dente. Serve immediately.
Pancit canton tastes better with calamansi. If it is not available, a slice of lemon will do. Another tip is to slice the vegetables in a uniform thickness so they will cook quickly.
READ NEXT: Arabic 101 – Learn These Common Arabic Words and Numbers