If you are working abroad, such as in Qatar, you will surely go through a lot of challenging experiences as you strive to provide a better future for your family. You might have to go through a period of adjustment. Eventually, you will overcome these challenges.
ALSO READ: 10 Ways to Have a Work-Life Balance
When you learn to love what you do, you will enjoy going to work every day. Your success depends on you.
Disclaimer: The information posted here is based on the personal experiences that the OFW shared on the video. Please let this post serve as a guide only. If you have specific questions, you may ask the OFW by commenting on their video on their accounts.
Motivations of an OFW
The YouTube channel of Buddy Vher features OFWs and their stories. In one episode, Buddy Vher interviewed a kababayan currently working as a waiter in Qatar. Here are some inspirational topics they discussed:
- The welfare of the children is a motivation to work abroad.
- You do not immediately decide to work overseas because it entails being away from the family for two years, or depending on the contract.
- The family will have to sacrifice when one member has to work abroad. For one, you will not see your children grow.
- Even if working abroad is a difficult decision, it must be done to improve the family’s life.
- Most overseas workers prefer to start working in Saudi Arabia because there is less hassle in working there. They are also not required to pay a lot of fees.
- Processing the requirements to work abroad is also a hassle. But it is necessary to accomplish everything, including the budget to pay all the processing fees.
- Before departing abroad, it is also important to leave some budget for the family you will leave behind. Remember to minimize expenses.
- Some people consider their first job abroad as their worst experience because they are still adjusting. They have to battle homesickness or experience culture shock.
- The first 6 months are usually the hardest. But once you overcome them, you will certainly learn from your experience.
- You will get used to working abroad, if only for the knowledge that you earn a significant amount every month that you can send to your family. The downside is, you will be separated from your family.
Challenges in Working Abroad
- Contrary to belief, some people can easily adapt to new kinds of food. They are not afraid to try something new to them.
- It is difficult to adjust to the time difference.
- It can also be challenging to deal with different nationalities, at first.
- It would also help if you can adapt to the workplace because that is where you’ll stay for two whole years.
- You would also need to adjust to the climate in the Middle East because it is different from the Philippines.
- To battle homesickness, you can call home. Keep in mind that you cannot come home anytime you feel like it since you have to honor your contract.
- The first few Christmases away from home may be difficult at first. But eventually, you will get used to spending the holidays by yourself.
- Filipinos can be flexible when they are working abroad.
- You might have trouble communicating with other nationalities because of the difference in accents, etc. But they are also hardworking, so it will be easy to work for them.
- Working as a waiter can be an enjoyable experience because you get to meet different kinds of people every day.
- Having regular customers can be a rewarding feeling since you know that your hard work is appreciated.
What Do You Miss Most in the Philippines?
- Most OFWs miss the taste of Filipino food.
- Some places in the Middle East allow pork consumption or alcoholic drinks, but the tax is quite high.
What Does an OFW Mean to You?
- They should stick to their principles, and remember the reason why they are working abroad in the first place.
- Some people may forget their motivation when they start to feel sad or experience too much happiness.
- Those who want to try working abroad should be courageous. You need to think long and hard about your decision since it will be a different experience when you are overseas. If you encounter problems, you will face these by yourself.
Words of Advice
- But if you have an important reason to go abroad, by all means, go for it. You might find your luck there.
- “Do your best. But don’t aim for the best.”
- It will also help to have passion for your work.
- Enjoy your work, and you will not notice that time has passed by.
- It will be easy to handle your budget if your employer shoulders the accommodation and food. You will only spend a minimum amount on personal effects. But most OFWs would send all of their salaries back home.
- Finally, family members back home should call their relatives abroad to ask how they feel. This simple act means a lot to them. Thanks to the internet, it is easier to get in touch with loved ones abroad.
You can watch the full video here:
READ NEXT: 10 Ways to Enjoy Life while Working Abroad