Qatar is home to several workers currently serving as caregivers. If you have experience or have undergone training for this type, you can send applications for a job.
ALSO READ: How to Prepare for a Domestic Worker Job in the Middle East
What are your expectations from working in this field? Are you ready to take on the challenges and responsibilities of a caregiver?
Disclaimer: The information posted here is based on the personal experiences that the OFW shared on the video. Please let this post serve as a guide only. If you have specific questions, you may ask the OFW by commenting on their video on their accounts.
Salary and Expectations of a Filipino Caregiver in Qatar
If you are inclined to care for others, you can start a career as a caregiver. This job has many opportunities all over the world, including in Qatar.
The YouTube video of Renche’s Journey gives us an idea of how much a caregiver makes. The vlogger also shares her work, challenges, and other life lessons.
Here are the takeaways of the video:
- For first-timers, the initial job offer is about $400 a month. The contract stipulates this amount.
- Depending on the prevailing exchange rate, the caregiver can expect Php 18,000.
- There is no deduction in the salary, except if the worker is paying off a loan or making government-mandated contributions.
- Some employers give out loans to their employees. But of course, the giving of loan is not applicable in every household.
- Some caregivers think it is a blessing to have Caucasian employers because they are more generous.
- If the employers are generous, they give additional allowance to their employees. They are also known to give a raise when the employee stays longer.
- Some caregivers get more salary when they are on their third year onwards with the same employer.
- On the other hand, it can be challenging to have a differently-abled ward. The vlogger feels that she deserves her salary because of the hard work she needs to endure everyday.
- For those who are thinking of giving because of the challenges, the vlogger advises remembering what was the motivation to work abroad in the first place.
- Finally, the vlogger also reminds everyone not to take their health for granted.
You can watch the full video here:
What are the responsibilities of a caregiver?
Caregivers need to perform essential tasks for their ward. They mostly assist their wards in the following areas:
- Exercise routine
- Administering medicines
- Going to the bathroom to take a bath, brush, and other personal needs
- Eating meals on time
- Reporting to the family or medical personnel for any changes in the health condition of the ward
There can be other arrangements that the employer might need from the caregiver. After all, most of the patients that they will care for have a chronic or mental disorder. Some are also elderly and weak.
What are the qualifications of a caregiver?
Some employers prefer that the caregiver has at least one year of work experience. Some will need to see a diploma for a vocational course or a short course in this field. Some employers also prefer a female caregiver.
Caregivers may work inside a household. Others observe a stay-out arrangement. Some also work in a healthcare facility.
Most importantly, caregivers should have the patience, endurance, compassion, and understanding to deal with their wards. Having all these qualities will help in succeeding in their roles.
READ NEXT: 10 Ways to Enjoy Life while Working Abroad