When you have plans to visit countries in Oceania, such as New Zealand, you know that your days will be filled with soaking up their culture and enjoying what the country has to offer. Aside from that, you can also enjoy the interesting landscapes and rich history.
For Filipino passport holders who want to visit, you must apply for a tourist visa first. The good news is that you can apply for the visa online, saving you the time and effort of going to the embassy.
Tourist Visa Application for Filipinos
New Zealand is an exciting destination, especially if you want to enjoy the beach, try some dairy products, or are a Lord of the Rings fan. To start your journey, the first step is to obtain a tourist visa.
With the tourist visa, you can stay in New Zealand for up to 9 months. This is a perfect opportunity to meet up with friends or family members, or even to study for 3 months while you are there.
Qualifications for Visa Application
The government of New Zealand may require a visa for tourists from certain countries, including the Philippines. Tourists coming from these countries will need to obtain a tourist visa first.
However, for countries whose visa requirements are waived, travelers need to have the New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority.
Requirements for Visa Application
For visitors with a Philippine passport, it is necessary to apply for a tourist visa. Here are the required documents:
- Valid passport: The passport must remain valid for at least 3 months beyond your intended flight to New Zealand.
- Colored passport photo
- Proof that you are a good character: You can provide a police clearance. Additionally, you should inform the immigration officials if you have any prior convictions or have served time in prison.
- Official document indicating good health: This can be a chest x-ray or the results of a medical examination.
- Round-trip ticket
- Proof of financial means: You can present bank statements or any other documents that demonstrate sufficient funds for your trip. Alternatively, if you have a sponsor supporting your journey, you can provide proof of this arrangement.
- Health insurance: You should be able to demonstrate to the embassy that you have the means to cover potential health emergencies
To apply for your tourist visa, visit the New Zealand immigration website and follow these steps:
Step 1: On the New Zealand immigration platform, provide information including your country of origin, the country where you are applying for the visa, the number of persons traveling, and the method of visa application.
Step 2: Gather the necessary documents.
Step 3: Submit your documents online and complete the payment of the visa application fee
Step 4: Await the outcome of your visa application. The processing time is approximately 35 days. If the immigration authorities require additional information, they will contact you and inform you of the result.
Visa Processing Fees
- The visa processing fee is NZD $246. This fee also includes the International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy worth NZD $35.
- Payment can be made using either your credit card or debit card.
- If your stay in New Zealand is 60 days or less, there is no requirement to pay the immigration levy..
Address and Contact Details of the New Zealand Embassy
- Address: Office 2503, International Tower, Capital Centre, ADNEC Area, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Telephone Number: +971 2 496 3333
- Email address: NZEmbassy.AbuDhabi@mfat.govt.nz
Note: The embassy serves the UAE and Qatar.
Location Map of New Zealand Embassy
Video on Visa Application
For additional insight into the tourist visa application process, consider watching this YouTube video by Juls Ortega. The video covers essential topics such as permissible activities under the tourist visa, prerequisites for application, and a step-by-step guide to the online application procedure.
The vlogger provides a straightforward narration. Watching the video makes it easy for you to grasp the key points as you view the video.
You can watch the full video here:
Disclaimer: The information posted here is based on personal experiences that the vlogger shared in the video. Please let this post serve as a guide only. If you have specific questions, you may ask the vlogger by commenting on their video or on their social media accounts.
Traveling from Qatar to New Zealand
Qatar Airways offers flights to various destinations in New Zealand, including Auckland, Queenstown, and Wellington. The average cost of an airfare is approximately AED 4,757. The typical flight duration between these two countries slightly exceeds 19 hours.
Do’s and Don’ts When Staying in New Zealand
Visiting foreign countries can be tricky, especially if their culture and values are different from yours. So, it’s important that you know beforehand what the norm is, and avoid embarrassing yourself and your host. Here are some points to remember:
- Offer to remove your shoes when entering households, particularly if it’s a Maori household
- Express gratitude by saying “thank you” when someone helps you, or use “please” when making a request. These gestures hold more weight than just nodding or smiling
- Maintain eye contact when conversing with others. In this country, speaking without eye contact is considered impolite
- Respect personal space by keeping at least an arm’s length between you and others
- Interact courteously with shopkeepers. Keep in mind that price negotiation is generally not acceptable unless dealing with high-value items or bulk purchases.
- Return borrowed items in clean and good condition. Always inquire about the borrowing duration as well.
- Understand that “no” means a definitive refusal. It’s important to respect others’ wishes.
- Avoid asking personal questions about age, religion, political affiliation, salary, weight, and similar topics
- Refrain from spitting in public or in the presence of others, as it’s considered impolite behavior
- Do not clap or shout to get the attention of waitstaff. Instead, establish eye contact, nod, raise your hand, or call them over when they pass by.
- Skipping lines in queues is deemed rude. Wait your turn, or if you have an emergency, politely communicate your situation with the person ahead of you.
Popular Tourist Spots in New Zealand
Eager to explore the captivating sights of New Zealand? We’ve compiled a list of renowned destinations to assist you in crafting your itinerary. As you journey, don’t miss the opportunity to indulge in the country’s finest dairy products available at local shops.
For some adrenaline rush, Queenstown offers an abundance of experiences to satisfy your cravings and more. Ascend Bob’s Peak via a gondola ride to enjoy panoramic views. En route, catch glimpses of other attractions such as Lake Wakatipu.
On the other hand, you can also go skydiving. You can sign up for packages that allow you to freefall for about a minute, where you can also enjoy a vantage point of the capital. But you should take note of the peak season which occurs from October to May, where you might have to wait longer for your turn.
If the word “Shire” means anything to you, then Rotorua should be on your itinerary! A pivotal movie location within the Lord of the Rings franchise, Rotorua provides the opportunity to partake in the Hobbiton Movie Set Tour, immersing you in the enchanting realm of Middle Earth. Following your captivating photo session, a selection of pubs awaits, ready to offer delectable meals and refreshing beverages.
Aoraki Mount Cook National Park
When in New Zealand, do not pass up the chance to enjoy the snow. A visit to the Aoraki Mount Cook National Park presents this very opportunity. Embark on mountain trails or join glacier tours to fully immerse yourself in the snowy wonderland.. Aside from enjoying the snow, you can also take the chance to climb another peak by conquering Mount Cook.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can I work in New Zealand with a tourist visa?
No, you cannot work or even look for a job while you are on a tourist visa. If you want to work in New Zealand, you must apply for a Work Visa. Additionally, you can inquire about the Special Category Visitor Visa if you have other purposes in coming to the country.
- What is the NZeTA?
The New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) is a requirement for travelers arriving under a visa waiver, including those with permanent resident status. Depending on your country of origin, your stay in New Zealand can extend up to 3 or 6 months.
- Can I extend my stay in New Zealand?
Certainly, you can extend your stay by an additional three months, as long as it falls within a 24-month period. Eligible reasons for extension include the need for more time to complete your itinerary, situations preventing your departure beyond your control, or if you’ve applied for residence while holding a tourist visa. However, substantiating your capability to financially support your prolonged stay is essential. Equally significant is refraining from engaging in employment, studies, or obtaining sponsorship during your initial stay.
If you want to explore this Oceania country with your Philippine passport, you should first apply for a tourist visa. Some of the documents that you need to prepare are: passport, bank statement, proof of good character, proof of health, and travel insurance. Moreover, you should also present evidence that you can support your trip. Once you have your documents ready, you can start your application because you can do so online. You will also be given instructions on how much you will pay. Following these procedural steps, all that remains is awaiting the outcome of your application.
READ NEXT: How to Apply for Italy Tourist Visa in Qatar