One of the places you can visit in Doha is the Qatar National Library. It is in Education City. You can even bring children along.
ALSO READ: Holiday Picks: 31 Activities To Do In Qatar
Aside from the books, you can check the architecture and technology inside the library. And you know the best part? Admission is free!
Enjoy Your Visit at the Library
If you are a bookworm, you could spend hours at the Qatar National Library and not get bored. With its huge collection, perhaps one day is not enough to enjoy what the place has to offer.
But don’t worry if you are not a bookworm since you can go to other sections in the library. You might be converted into a booklover once you set foot in there.
This YouTube video of Toothless Vampire shows us what’s inside the Qatar National Library. If you are planning to visit soon, here’s what you can expect:
- The building looks like folded paper on the outside
- When you go inside, the layout will remind you of an arena. But this one house books instead of spectators
- There are more than 800,000 collections
- Books are available in Arabic, English, and other languages
- A portion of the library is dedicated to a heritage collection from other parts of the world
- Shelves are big enough to hold 1,000 books
- Differently-abled people can enjoy a dedicated space for them
- With a 3D printing facility
- Has a music studio and space for other activities
- You can comfortably relax in one of the chairs
- Holds the distinction of being the first national library built in the millennium
- Uses self check-in and self check-out machines
- Features the latest technology
- Includes individual study rooms
- Provides space for creative pursuit
- Kids can use the section dedicated to them
- Contains a dedicated portion for ancient books
- With an indoor theatre
- The Heritage Library Section features ancient which are enclosed in climate-controlled display cases
- The Sacred Journey section features books, scrolls, and more ancient publications
You can watch the full video here:
Disclaimer: The information posted here is based on the personal experiences that the OFW shared on the video. Please let this post serve as a guide only. If you have specific questions, you may ask the OFW by commenting on their video on their accounts.
All citizens and residents can register for membership with Qatar National Library. They need to present their Qatar ID (QID) or Qatar residency permit (RP) to apply. Any other forms of identification such as a driver’s license or health card will not be honored. Membership is free.
Upon registration, the membership with the library remains valid as long as the Qatar ID or residency permit is valid. The member can apply again upon renewal of the QID or RP.
Membership applications can be done online or in person. Both adults and children can register. Members can borrow books and can access online resources such as audiobooks, ebooks, and magazines.
Saturday to Thursday:
8:00 AM – 10:00 AM
10:30 AM – 2:30 PM
3:30 PM – 8:00 PM
How to Get There
If you have your vehicle, you can park it in the Ceremonial Court parking lot. You can take the shuttle to bring you to the library.
You can also take the Doha Metro. Take the Green Line and get off at the Qatar National Library station. If you are coming from the Gold Line, you can switch stations at Msheireb. Meanwhile, those using the Red Line will get off at Al Bidda Station to get to the Green Line.
Use this map to find your way around Education City and Qatar National Library: