As a job applicant, you will need to present your skills and qualifications during the job interview. At this stage, you can meet with your potential employer to see whether you are the best candidate for the job.
Your attire during the interview will also matter. You want to look presentable and professional as you meet with the recruiter.
Clothes Make The Man
There is a well-known saying that goes, “clothes maketh the man.” This saying is true especially for professional activities such as a job interview. If the recruiter calls you to meet, you should prepare your attire well. Remember to compile the credentials that you mentioned in your application.
Here are some tips to help you find the proper outfit:
- Take into consideration the company you are applying for.
- Choose business casual attire. This kind of outfit is also called a smart look, which means appearing professional without going overboard.
- Sometimes, the position you are applying for will dictate the outfit to wear. For instance, you will dress differently if you are applying for a managerial role. But if you are applying for an IT position at a small company, you might dress up in another way.
- Choose clothing with neutral colors or plain patterns.
- Preferred outfit for females:
button-down shirt and cardigan
a simple shirt and a blazer
slacks or pencil skirt and a blouse
a simple dress with cardigan and belt
- Footwear for females may be black or blown-colored.
- Footwear for females could be low-heeled or pumps.
- Females could wear simple jewelry together with their outfits.
- Females can use nail polish for their nails but should use sheer colors. Nails should also be clean and properly cut.
- Men could wear collared shirts with long sleeves.
- Men could wear a button-down shirt with long sleeves and a collar. The shirt should be tucked into the pants.
- Ties should have a simple pattern or solid color.
- If the applicant prefers to wear a suit and tie, these should match.
- Men could wear neatly pressed pants. Choose light-colored or khakis for a more formal look.
- Pants’ color could be black, grey, brown, or navy blue to match most shirts.
- Footwear could be brown or black loafers. Socks should match the color of the shoes.
- Acceptable accessories for men are a wristwatch and leather belt.
- In general, all applicants could try on their interview outfit beforehand. In this way, they can see what they look like and fix any issues that may arise.
- Don’t forget to plan your hairstyle so you will feel more comfortable.
- Know more about the company so you can get an idea about their work culture.
Here are some outfit mistakes to avoid:
- Offensive perfume
- Wrinkled clothing
- Ill-fitting clothes
- Scruffy shoes
- Short or skimpy dress
- Short pants
- Informal attire
- Too much jewelry or accessories
- Open-toed footwear or strappy sandals
- Flip-flops, athletic shoes, or sporty shoes
- Athletic socks
- Exposed underwear
- Tank tops
Keep in mind that many factors will determine whether you will get the job or not. Aside from your qualifications, your personality will also matter. Make sure to present yourself well. Choose your interview outfit properly.
Good luck with your job hunting!