Moving to a new country, like Qatar, means planning and preparing for the things you will need. Take note of what’s important and what you want to bring with you when you leave the Philippines.
ALSO READ: 9 Things to Consider Before Moving to Qatar
If you are a first-time OFW, you might not have considered how different your life would be. So be smart. Plan so that you will not have a hard time in Qatar.
Disclaimer: The information posted here is based on the personal experiences shared by the OFW in the video. Please let this post serve as a guide only. If you have specific questions, you may ask the OFW by commenting on their video on their accounts.
What to Bring, What Not to Bring
Our kababayan in Qatar curate 10 useful tips to remember before going abroad. We can watch the ideas on the YouTube channel of Pajama Guy, or Greg Ruyal.
Whether you are going abroad for the first time, or have been working for many years, these tips might still come in handy.
- Check if your maintenance medicine is a prohibited drug in Qatar. You can check the website of Hamad International Airport to see the list of drugs that you can bring on board. Always remember to get a prescription before buying any kind of medication. Keep in mind that some medicines in the Philippines may be purchased over-the-counter, but could be restricted in Qatar.
- Remember that you need a special permit to eat pork meat in Qatar. Besides, pork meat is not available just anywhere.
- The temperature in Qatar can get very hot. Umbrella and sunscreen will be useful when you need to go out. You might be uncomfortable using an umbrella in Qatar. But sunscreen will protect your skin against UV rays.
- Bring a refillable water bottle. You will this with water and bring it with you when you go out. You need to keep hydrated especially when it is hot outside.
- Bring a clean bed sheet with you. After a 9-hour flight, the bed sheet will be your life saver because you can sleep as soon as you get to the apartment.
- Make sure that your phone is not locked to a particular service provider. You would not be able to use this kind of phone if you bring this to Qatar. You will then be forced to buy another unit. So, save your money and bring an open line phone.
- Bring a travel adaptor because the plug is different from the one you are using in the Philippines.
- Bring a laptop since you will be using this for work. If you have an extra unit, it is better to bring it with you so you won’t have to purchase a new one.
- Bring some of your favorite food. The familiar food from home will come in handy if you suddenly crave Pinoy Even if there are Filipino supermarkets in Doha, these could be located far from your apartment. Or worse, they do not carry the particular food that you are looking for. Save yourself the trouble and bring at least two-week worth of supply.
- Visit a dentist before leaving the Philippines. This is the perfect opportunity to take care of your dental health while you can afford it. In case you are not aware, the dental services in Qatar are quite expensive.
Take note of these tips from Pajama Guy as you prepare to go to Qatar. Who knows, your next flight could be a breeze!
You can watch the full video here:
READ NEXT: How to Get a Job in Qatar