Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) have been an integral part of Qatar’s economy for several years now. With a large number of Filipinos working in various industries, Qatar has become one of the top destinations for OFWs in the Middle East. The oil-rich country has numerous opportunities for Filipinos to work and contribute to its growing economy.
In this article, we’ll explore the top industries for OFWs in Qatar and what makes them attractive options for Filipinos looking to work abroad. From construction to healthcare, Qatar’s industries offer a diverse range of opportunities for OFWs seeking employment abroad. So, whether you’re considering Qatar as your next career destination or simply interested in learning more about the country’s job market, keep reading to find out more about the top industries for OFWs in Qatar.
Qatar has one of the world’s fastest-growing economies, driven primarily by its oil and natural gas industries. The country has a high-income economy, with a per capita GDP that ranks among the highest in the world. Qatar has invested heavily in infrastructure development, including the construction of state-of-the-art transportation systems, modern airports, and world-class sports facilities. The country has also diversified its economy by investing in industries such as finance, healthcare, and tourism.
Qatar’s economy is heavily reliant on migrant workers, with a significant number of foreign nationals working in various industries. Overall, Qatar’s robust economy and investment in infrastructure have positioned the country as a key player in the global economy.
What are the Biggest Industries OFWs can Work in Qatar?
Qatar is one of the top destinations for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) in the Middle East. With a strong economy and diverse job opportunities, it’s no surprise that many Filipinos choose to work in Qatar. But what are the biggest industries that OFWs can work in while in Qatar? Find out below.
1. Natural Gas
The natural gas industry in Qatar has been a major contributor to the country’s economy and has created numerous job opportunities for skilled workers. If you are an OFW interested in pursuing a career in the natural gas industry, there are several positions available that require different skills.
- Petroleum Engineer: This position involves designing and developing methods for extracting natural gas from the earth. A petroleum engineer needs to have knowledge of geology, drilling techniques, and production methods.
- Process Engineer: A process engineer is responsible for designing and optimizing the processes used in the production of natural gas. This requires knowledge of chemistry, physics, and computer simulation techniques.
- Mechanical Engineer: A mechanical engineer is responsible for designing and maintaining the equipment used in the extraction and processing of natural gas. This requires knowledge of mechanical design, materials science, and fluid mechanics.
- Electrical Engineer: An electrical engineer is responsible for designing and maintaining the electrical systems used in the natural gas industry. This requires knowledge of electrical design, power systems, and automation.
- Environmental Engineer: An environmental engineer is responsible for ensuring that the natural gas industry operates in an environmentally sustainable manner. This requires knowledge of environmental regulations, waste management, and pollution control techniques.
- Operations Manager: An operations manager is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of natural gas production facilities. This requires knowledge of project management, logistics, and supply chain management.
The natural gas industry in Qatar is a significant contributor to the country’s economy and a major employer of skilled workers. As home to some of the largest gas fields in the world, Qatar has made natural gas extraction and export a major priority for economic growth.
According to recent reports, petroleum and natural gas are the main components of Qatar’s economy, generating over 70% of the government’s income, more than 60% of the country’s gross domestic product, and about 85% of its total export earnings. Qatar possesses the third-largest known natural gas reserve in the world and is the second-largest natural gas exporter globally, so if you have the skills and expertise to help Qatar develop its natural gas industry, you may have an excellent opportunity to find work here.
2. Crude Oil
The crude oil industry in Qatar offers a range of job opportunities for skilled workers, including engineers, technicians, and project managers. These positions require specialized skills and knowledge in areas such as oil exploration, drilling, production, and refining.
For example, petroleum engineers play a crucial role in the oil industry by designing and developing methods to extract oil and gas from underground reservoirs. They also work on strategies to maximize oil and gas recovery while minimizing costs and environmental impact.
In addition to petroleum engineers, there is also a demand for skilled technicians who can operate and maintain the complex machinery used in oil production. These positions require knowledge of electrical and mechanical systems, as well as specialized training in safety procedures and protocols.
Project managers are also needed to oversee the planning, design, and execution of large-scale oil and gas projects. They are responsible for coordinating teams of engineers, technicians, and other professionals, as well as managing budgets and timelines.
For OFWs interested in pursuing a career in the crude oil industry in Qatar, it is important to have the relevant skills and qualifications in their chosen field. They should also have a good understanding of the industry’s safety and environmental protocols and be prepared to work in challenging environments, such as offshore oil rigs.
Some in-demand skills that OFWs can develop to pursue careers in the Crude Oil industry include:
- Technical expertise: The crude oil industry requires technical skills and knowledge, such as engineering, geology, and chemistry. OFWs with degrees or certifications in these fields can find job opportunities in exploration, drilling, refining, and production.
- Safety training: Safety is a top priority in the crude oil industry. OFWs who have undergone safety training and have knowledge of safety protocols and procedures can be in high demand. This can include certifications in areas such as Hazard Identification, H2S (Hydrogen Sulfide) Awareness, Firefighting, and First Aid.
- Language skills: The crude oil industry is a global industry, and OFWs who can speak multiple languages, particularly English and Arabic, have an advantage in securing jobs with multinational companies operating in Qatar and other countries in the Middle East.
- Project management skills: The crude oil industry is capital-intensive and involves large-scale projects, so project management skills are highly valued. OFWs with experience in managing projects in the industry, including budgeting, scheduling, and coordination, can find job opportunities in various fields such as engineering, operations, and logistics.
- Problem-solving skills: OFWs with strong analytical and problem-solving skills can be valuable assets in the crude oil industry, where issues such as operational challenges and environmental concerns need to be addressed. Those who can quickly identify and troubleshoot problems can have successful careers in various roles, including engineering, production, and quality control.
3. Financial Industry
For OFWs who are interested in pursuing careers in Qatar’s financial industry, there are various positions and skill sets that are in high demand. Here are some of the common job roles and skills required in Qatar’s financial industry:
- Banking – Qatar’s banking sector is a significant contributor to the country’s economy. Positions such as financial analysts, investment bankers, credit analysts, and relationship managers are in high demand. For these roles, employers typically look for candidates with a bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or economics, as well as relevant experience and strong analytical skills.
- Insurance – Qatar’s insurance industry is growing rapidly, and there is a need for professionals with skills in underwriting, claims management, and risk assessment. Candidates with a degree in actuarial science, risk management, or insurance are preferred for these roles.
- Islamic finance – With a large Muslim population, Qatar’s Islamic finance sector is thriving. Professionals with expertise in sharia-compliant banking and finance, such as sharia auditors and compliance officers, are in high demand. A degree in Islamic finance, law, or business, along with relevant experience, is usually required for these roles.
- Real estate – Qatar’s booming real estate market requires professionals with skills in property management, leasing, valuation, and investment analysis. Candidates with a degree in real estate, finance, or business, as well as relevant experience, are preferred for these roles.
- Capital markets – Qatar’s capital markets are expanding, and there is a growing demand for professionals with skills in investment research, equity analysis, and financial modeling. Candidates with a degree in finance, economics, or business, as well as relevant experience and strong analytical skills, are preferred for these roles.
The financial industry in Qatar offers many opportunities for OFWs with the right qualifications and skill sets. Candidates with a solid educational background and relevant experience, along with strong analytical and communication skills, are in high demand.
It is worth noting that the financial industry in Qatar is highly competitive, and candidates should be prepared to demonstrate their skills and experience in order to succeed in this dynamic and challenging field.
To be successful in the steel industry in Qatar, candidates will need to have relevant skills and qualifications. A degree or diploma in engineering, manufacturing, or a related field may be necessary for some positions.
Experience in the steel industry, knowledge of steel products, and familiarity with manufacturing processes are also valuable. Candidates should be able to work in a fast-paced environment and be able to work well in a team. Additionally, knowledge of Arabic and English may be beneficial for communication with colleagues and customers.
For OFWs interested in the steel industry in Qatar, there are several positions available. These include:
- Steel Production Supervisor – This role involves overseeing the production process of steel in the factory. The successful candidate will need to have experience in managing production lines and ensuring quality control.
- Quality Control Inspector – In this role, the worker will be responsible for inspecting steel products to ensure they meet the required quality standards. Experience in quality control and knowledge of steel products are necessary.
- Mechanical Engineer – Mechanical engineers play an essential role in the steel industry, as they are responsible for maintaining the machinery used in production. This includes troubleshooting mechanical issues and performing regular maintenance.
- Welder – Welders are also in high demand in the steel industry. They are responsible for joining pieces of metal together using welding equipment. Experience in welding and knowledge of different welding techniques are necessary for this role.
- Production Worker – Production workers are responsible for the day-to-day operations in the steel factory. This includes operating machinery, maintaining a safe work environment, and meeting production targets.
5. Commercial Ship Repair
Pursuing a career in the ship repair industry in Qatar offer a variety of positions available that require different levels of skill and experience. Some of the common positions in ship repair include electricians, welders, fitters, mechanics, and engineers.
Additionally, there are opportunities for administrative and management roles such as project managers, procurement officers, and quality control inspectors.
To be successful in the ship repair industry, candidates must possess relevant technical skills and qualifications. For example, electricians should have experience working with electrical systems on ships and should have relevant certifications.
Welders should be proficient in welding techniques and should have relevant certifications as well. Fitters and mechanics should have experience working with the machinery and equipment used in ship repair.
Engineers should have a degree in a relevant engineering field and experience in ship repair or a related industry. Project managers should have experience in managing complex projects and should have strong leadership and communication skills.
Procurement officers should have experience in negotiating contracts and managing suppliers. Quality control inspectors should have experience in ensuring compliance with industry regulations and standards.
Overall, the ship repair industry in Qatar provides a variety of career opportunities for OFWs with different skill sets and qualifications.
With the continued growth of the global shipping industry, the ship repair industry in Qatar is poised for steady growth, making it an attractive destination for OFWs seeking employment in this field.
6. Petrochemical Industry
The petrochemical industry in Qatar presents a great opportunity for OFWs who have experience and skills in the production and manufacturing of chemicals.
Qatar’s petrochemical industry produces a range of chemicals that are essential in the production of a variety of products. For instance, polythene and gasoline are used in the manufacture of plastic products, while ethylene is used in the production of chemicals, textiles, and plastics.
Some of the positions that OFWs with experience in the petrochemical industry can apply for in Qatar’s petrochemical industry include Chemical Engineers, Production Managers, Maintenance Engineers, and Quality Control Technicians.
These roles require individuals with skills in chemical manufacturing, knowledge of industrial processes, and expertise in maintaining and repairing equipment used in the industry.
OFWs seeking employment in the petrochemical industry should have a background in chemical engineering or a related field. They should have knowledge of chemical reactions and be familiar with the production process.
In addition, they should be able to read and interpret technical drawings, be adept in troubleshooting and problem-solving, and have excellent communication skills.
Working in Qatar’s petrochemical industry can be a highly rewarding experience for OFWs. In addition to competitive salaries, the industry offers opportunities for career growth and development.
With the expected growth of the industry, the demand for skilled workers is likely to increase, providing OFWs with the opportunity to advance their careers in the sector.
7. Fertilizer Industry
The fast-growing fertilizer industry in Qatar provides opportunities for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) with various skills and expertise.
Some of the positions that OFWs can apply for in this industry include chemical engineers, production supervisors, quality control inspectors, and laboratory technicians.
For chemical engineers, the key responsibilities would involve designing, developing and optimizing the production process of fertilizers, and ensuring compliance with safety and environmental regulations.
Candidates must have a degree in chemical engineering and relevant work experience in fertilizer manufacturing.
Production supervisors are responsible for overseeing the production process, managing staff, and ensuring production targets are met.
Candidates for this position must have experience in managing and supervising a production team, knowledge of production planning and control, and an understanding of safety and environmental regulations.
Quality control inspectors ensure that the fertilizers produced meet the required standards of quality, safety, and effectiveness.
Candidates for this role should have experience in quality control procedures and techniques, as well as knowledge of laboratory testing methods and equipment.
Laboratory technicians are responsible for performing laboratory tests on raw materials, intermediates, and finished products.
They also conduct quality control checks, maintain laboratory equipment, and ensure compliance with safety and environmental regulations.
Candidates for this role should have a degree in chemistry, biology, or related fields, and experience in laboratory testing and analysis.
In summary, the growing fertilizer industry in Qatar offers a range of employment opportunities for OFWs with skills and expertise in chemical engineering, production supervision, quality control, and laboratory testing.
The industry’s continued growth provides a promising outlook for job seekers in this field.
8. Hospitality And Tourism Industry
For overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) seeking employment opportunities in Qatar’s hospitality and tourism industry, there are a range of positions and skills that are in demand. Some of the most sought-after positions in the industry include:
- Hotel Manager: This position requires a strong background in hospitality management and experience in overseeing hotel operations. Hotel managers are responsible for managing staff, maintaining guest satisfaction, and ensuring the profitability of the hotel.
- Chef: The food industry is an important aspect of the hospitality industry. Qualified chefs with experience in culinary arts are highly sought after. Chefs can work in hotels, restaurants, and other food establishments.
- Tour Guide: For OFWs with strong communication skills and a passion for history and culture, becoming a tour guide in Qatar can be a fulfilling career. Tour guides are responsible for leading visitors to cultural and historical sites in Qatar.
- Event Coordinator: Event coordinators are responsible for organizing events such as weddings, corporate events, and conferences. This position requires excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Customer Service Representative: This position is suitable for those who have a warm and friendly personality and enjoy interacting with people. Customer service representatives are responsible for ensuring guest satisfaction and resolving complaints.
To succeed in the hospitality and tourism industry, job seekers need to have excellent communication skills, be able to work in a team, be customer-focused, and have a passion for service.
Additionally, proficiency in Arabic and English languages is often preferred in the industry. OFWs with experience and skills in hospitality and tourism are highly valued in Qatar’s job market, and the industry offers opportunities for career advancement and personal growth.
9. Agriculture And Fisheries
If you’re interested in working in Qatar’s agricultural and fisheries industry, you will be pleased there are several positions available.
For the agricultural sector, positions such as farm managers, agronomists, irrigation specialists, and greenhouse technicians are in demand.
These positions require knowledge in plant science, soil science, and agricultural engineering. Skills such as crop management, irrigation system installation and maintenance, and pest control management are also essential.
For the fisheries industry, positions such as fishing vessel captains, fishing technicians, and aquaculture technicians are in demand.
These positions require knowledge of marine biology, fishing techniques, and aquaculture management.
Skills such as navigation, fishing gear maintenance, and fish breeding are also essential.
OFWs with experience in agriculture and fisheries can also consider working as food safety inspectors, quality control specialists, or agricultural researchers.
These positions require a strong understanding of the industry, including government regulations, safety standards, and emerging trends.
In addition to technical skills, OFWs interested in working in Qatar’s agricultural and fisheries industry must be physically fit and able to work in harsh conditions, such as extreme temperatures and long hours.
Good communication skills and the ability to work in a team are also important.
Qatar’s agricultural and fisheries industry is a growing sector that offers employment opportunities for OFWs with relevant skills and experience.
With the country’s focus on technological advancements, the industry is expected to continue to grow, providing long-term job security for workers.
OFWs who are looking for opportunities in Qatar’s healthcare industry can find several positions available that require different skills and qualifications. Here are some of the positions that OFWs can consider:
- Physicians and Surgeons: Qatar has a high demand for medical doctors who can provide specialized care in various fields such as pediatrics, oncology, cardiology, and neurology. Physicians and surgeons must have a medical degree and a license to practice in Qatar.
- Nurses: Nurses are in high demand in Qatar’s healthcare system, with opportunities available for registered nurses, nurse practitioners, and nursing assistants. Nurses must have a nursing degree and a license to practice in Qatar.
- Pharmacists: Pharmacists are responsible for dispensing medication and counseling patients on how to use them. To work as a pharmacist in Qatar, candidates must have a degree in pharmacy and a license to practice.
- Allied Health Professionals: Qatar’s healthcare system also employs allied health professionals such as physical therapists, occupational therapists, and respiratory therapists. These positions require a relevant degree and a license to practice in Qatar.
- Healthcare Administrators: Healthcare administrators are responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of healthcare facilities. Candidates must have a degree in healthcare administration or a related field and relevant work experience.
- Medical Technologists: Medical technologists perform laboratory tests to help diagnose and treat diseases. Candidates must have a degree in medical technology and a license to practice in Qatar.
Qatar’s healthcare system offers many opportunities for OFWs with the necessary skills and qualifications. Candidates can choose to work in public healthcare through the Primary Health Care Corporation or in private healthcare through the Hamad Medical Corporation.
As Qatar becomes a global leader in technology adaptation and innovation, opportunities in the tech industry for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) are on the rise. In particular, the ICT sector is a priority sector in Qatar’s national agenda and is estimated to contribute 1.9 percent to the GDP, with a market currently estimated at $4.4 billion and expected to grow rapidly in the future.
The newly formed Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT) is leading the charge in modernizing Qatar through the Qatar Smart Nation program (TASMU), a five-year $1.6 billion initiative launched in 2017 to develop Qatar’s ICT infrastructure and transform Doha into one of the most connected cities globally.
This presents a range of potential job opportunities for OFWs with expertise in various areas of technology, including software development, network engineering, data analytics, cybersecurity, and artificial intelligence.
OFWs with skills in mobile application development and cloud computing are also in high demand in Qatar’s tech industry, as businesses seek to improve their digital presence and streamline their operations.
Additionally, OFWs with experience in project management, data center management, and system automation are highly sought after in the industry.
In summary, OFWs with expertise in various areas of technology have an opportunity to be part of Qatar’s growing tech industry, which is expected to contribute at least $11 billion to the projected nominal gross domestic product of Qatar’s economy.
With the focus on modernizing Qatar and developing its ICT infrastructure, the demand for skilled workers in the tech industry is expected to continue to grow in the coming years.
Video: How Qatar Became the World’s Most OP Country
In this video, we explore how Qatar became one of the wealthiest and most prosperous countries in the world. We delve into the history of Qatar’s industries, such as natural gas, crude oil, steel, financial, ship repair, fertilizer, petrochemical, hospitality, and agriculture and fisheries.
We also examine the policies and investments that Qatar’s government made to diversify its economy, create jobs, and improve the living standards of its citizens. Watch until the end as we uncover the story of how Qatar transformed from an impoverished nation into the world’s most OP (overpowered) country.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the top industries for OFWs in Qatar?
The top industries for OFWs in Qatar include construction, healthcare, hospitality and tourism, information technology, and oil and gas.
2. What types of jobs are available for OFWs in the construction industry in Qatar?
OFWs can work as engineers, architects, project managers, supervisors, skilled workers, and laborers in the construction industry in Qatar.
3. What types of jobs are available for OFWs in the healthcare industry in Qatar?
OFWs can work as doctors, nurses, allied health professionals, technicians, and administrative staff in the healthcare industry in Qatar.
4. What types of jobs are available for OFWs in the hospitality and tourism industry in Qatar?
OFWs can work as hotel and restaurant staff, tour guides, event planners, and customer service representatives in the hospitality and tourism industry in Qatar.
5. What types of jobs are available for OFWs in the information technology industry in Qatar?
OFWs can work as software developers, IT project managers, network engineers, system administrators, and technical support specialists in the information technology industry in Qatar.
6. What types of jobs are available for OFWs in the oil and gas industry in Qatar?
OFWs can work as engineers, technicians, rig operators, project managers, and administrative staff in the oil and gas industry in Qatar.
7. What are the typical salaries for OFWs in the top industries in Qatar?
Salaries vary depending on the industry and job position. However, OFWs in these industries generally earn higher salaries compared to other industries in Qatar.
8. What are the requirements for OFWs who want to work in these industries in Qatar?
The requirements may vary depending on the industry and job position. However, OFWs usually need to have the necessary education, training, and work experience, as well as the appropriate work visa and other necessary documents to work legally in Qatar.
In conclusion, Qatar remains a popular destination for OFWs seeking job opportunities abroad. The country’s robust economy and various industries provide Filipinos with a diverse range of employment options, from construction to healthcare.
Qatar’s commitment to investing in new technologies and system automation means that there is a growing demand for skilled workers in the tech industry, making it an attractive option for OFWs with relevant skills and experience.
As OFWs continue to play a vital role in Qatar’s economy, it is essential to keep an eye on the job market’s trends and opportunities to maximize their potential and contribute to the country’s development.
READ NEXT: Top 5 Job Sites in Qatar