Congratulations on your new job abroad! You will encounter new adventures, experiences and opportunities. But for sure, you will miss your loved ones back home.
It can be a bit sad waking up and realizing that you are miles away from your family. If this is your first time working abroad, or even if you are a veteran, you will still feel homesick at some point. And yet, you can overcome this feeling.
How to overcome homesickness
What could be the reasons for feeling homesick? To some, it is missing the familiar surroundings and faces. For others, it is missing on the everyday experience with the family left behind. Despite all these reasons, you need to overcome it so you can focus on your work better. Here are some tips to help you:
- Seek out other kababayans – if you are abroad by yourself, it will be good to hang out with your kababayans. Find them through an online community, or through work. But always remember that you need to be careful in making new friends. Always make sure that you hang out with friends that you can trust.
- Go on parties and other festivities – once you have new friends, you can go out and attends parties and other events with them. Be mindful of the laws in the country you are in. Also, do not overspend.
- Bring copies of your favourite Pinoy songs – there’s nothing more comforting than listening to songs that you are familiar with. If you want to bring CDs, make sure that these are not pirated. You can also use these records for your parties.
- Learn to cook – you can also recreate the comfort of home if you know how to cook your favourite dishes from home. You can also share these dishes with your kababayans.
- Join in any Pinoy sportsfest – they say that sports build camaraderie and character. When you join in these sports activities, you will have something worthwhile to prepare for. And most importantly, you will get your much needed exercise.
- Bring photos of your loved ones – the photos of your loved ones will remind why you’re working so many miles away from home. Let their images inspire to be strong even if you are feeling sad.
- Keep in touch with your family – if you are still longing for home, just remember that it is now easier to keep in touch with your family. You can use Skype, Viber or Messenger and any other apps to talk to them. Surely, a quick hello can brighten up your day.