There are plenty of job opportunities in Qatar for those who would like to pursue a career in engineering. In particular, site engineers are essential on construction sites to ensure a smooth operation.
ALSO READ: VIDEO: A Day in the Life of A Maintenance Electrician in Qatar
Previous experience and skills can help you land a good job. But not having enough experience should not stop you from pursuing a career in the Gulf State. It is important that you know the labor laws and how the visa is processed.
Disclaimer: The information posted here is based on the personal experiences that the OFW shared on the video. Please let this post serve as a guide only. If you have specific questions, you may ask the OFW by commenting on their video on their accounts.
Watch: A Kababayan Shares Her Experience of Landing a Job in Qatar
While most workers in Qatar get their jobs by applying through a local employment agency, there are some who will go to the country and apply for a job. This is the strategy that our vlogger took.
YouTube Video of a Construction Quality Engineer
In this post, we will discuss the YouTube video of Joy Calagui. She is currently working as a construction quality engineer in Qatar. Her story is as follows:
- Initially went to Qatar in 2017 on a business-tourist visa.
- At that time, it was allowed to get this kind of visa to get to Qatar.
- The business-tourist visa was valid for 3 months only.
- Nowadays, the QVC in one’s country is responsible for processing the paperwork before going to Qatar.
- She previously worked as a quality inspector for one of the construction companies in the Philippines.
- Her line of work was in procurement, civil, and architecture inspection.
- She got her first job after landing in Qatar for one and a half months.
- Started working in an architecture firm, where her salary was around QR 5,000 to 6,000.
- She stayed for four years in her first job.
- Found her job in QatarLiving, where the company called her to discuss her job application.
- To get her work visa, she needed to get out of the country. She went to Sri Lanka, to enable her employers to process her paper.
- Our vlogger says that now, the worker has to go back to their native country to allow the employer to process the visa.
- She was able to work on various projects, such as Doha Metro and airport project.
- She considers herself blessed to be able to take part in such projects.
- Our vlogger started working in Qatar when she was 25 years old, and she acknowledged that she needed to adjust to working in another country.
- She also shared that from the initial salary range of QR 5,000 to 7,000, her income increased to about QR 10,000 to 12,000.
Tips for Getting a Job
- She also shared her observation that job boards do not carry a lot of job opportunities for women
- With her observation, she suggests that women who want to work in GCC countries come to the country and find a job once they are there
- Those who have the budget to go to the country can try this route to get a better chance to find work abroad
You can watch the full video here:
What Degree is Needed to Become a Quality Engineer?
According to Indeed.com, the entry-level quality engineer will need at least an associate’s degree. From this university degree, the applicant will learn about the basic requirements of quality assurance and regulations, as well as proper documentation and testing requirements.
On the other hand, there are some employers who prefer their engineers to have a bachelor’s degree in either quality, mechanical, or industrial engineering. Those who are aspiring for a more senior role but with no experience may have to get a master’s degree in quality assurance.
What are the Skills Needed to Become a Quality Engineer?
Aside from your university degree, there are some skills that you need to possess in order to succeed in your job. Listed below are some useful skills to have:
- Can communicate well with others
- Critical thinking
- Can work well with a team
- Knows how to use the computer
- Manages time well
What is the nature of the work of a quality engineer?
Quality engineers also play a significant role on a construction site. In general, they are responsible for quality assurance as well as implementing quality control throughout the project.
Some of their tasks include preparing a plan to test and recording the materials that arrive. They also review the list of any activities on the site, before they can be implemented. They meet with the team to find ways to further improve their end product. Finally, they also prepare reports regarding the occurrence of deviations and defects in their plan.
What Degree Leads to Becoming a Quality Engineer?
According to Indeed.com, an entry-level quality engineer will need to have an associate’s degree. But some employers prefer quality engineers with a degree in quality, industrial, or mechanical engineering. But those who want to get more senior positions will need to get a master’s degree or other training.
Where Do Quality Engineers Work?
Quality engineers can find work in many industries, such as in manufacturing or the laboratory industry. At times, they work in tandem with the quality team to ensure that everyone in the group can meet the standards they set. The quality engineer reviews the process to prevent any issues or defects that may come up.
Is There Room for Promotion for a Quality Engineer?
As with most job opportunities, there is room for promotion for quality engineers. While they start as an entry-level position, they can get promoted to senior engineers. This is the next step after earning about 5 to 7 years of work experience. You should also have gathered technical skills and have attended training and further studies.
The next step is to become a supervisor, where you will lead a small group of engineers. Aside from leading a group, you would also be working on some designs.
After gathering enough skills, expertise, and training, a supervisor can become a manager. For this role, the manager will lead an even bigger group and be given more responsibilities such as budgeting and managing projects.
READ NEXT: Job Professions Qualifications to Get a Qatar Family Visit Visa