The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) has the task to develop and implement programs that will benefit overseas workers and their families. Overseas workers need to become OWWA members to get benefits as they fulfill their contracts.
ALSO READ: How to Get a Police Clearance in Qatar
Membership to OWWA is valid only for two years, and for a particular employer only. Membership becomes inactive after two years. In case the employee transfers to another employer within two years, membership also becomes inactive. Fortunately, renewal of membership is now possible online.
- OWWA Membership Renewal Online
- Requirements for membership renewal
- Steps to Renew Membership
- How to check OWWA Membership Status
- How to pay for Membership Renewal
- Watch: How to register for the OWWA Mobile App
OWWA Membership Renewal Online
OWWA is a government agency that is responsible for protecting overseas workers. These are possible by providing services like healthcare, scholarship, training, financial aid, and assistance to workers. Dependents can also avail themselves of the scholarship and training program. In case of a member’s death, the dependent will receive benefits from OWWA as well.
Requirements for membership renewal
Before you log in to the app, you need to prepare several documents. These are as follows:
- OWWA OFW Information Sheet which you can download from the site. Take note that you will encode the details that you provided here in the mobile app.
- Photocopy of the first page on your passport
- Work Permit Card or Employment Pass
- Copy of the employment contract
- Membership fee worth $25, which is equivalent to about Php 1,000 to 1,500. The value will change depending on the currency of the country of your destination.
Steps to Renew Membership
Here’s the good news for OWWA members. You can now download the OWWA mobile app to help you manage your membership at your convenience. To start, download the app either in Google Play or Apple Store.
Follow these steps to sign in to OWWA app
- Once you have the app on your phone, you can begin by tapping on the icon. Tap on LOG IN, if you have registered. Otherwise, tap on the SIGN IN button to start registration.
- When you sign up, encode the needed details. Press REGISTER once you have supplied the details.
- Wait for the email alert confirming your registration.
- Open the email from OWWA Support. Take note of the username and password that you will use for your transaction.
- You can go back to the OWWA Mobile app. Use the username and password to login into the app.
How to check OWWA Membership Status
When you log in to the app, you can verify your membership status. Go to INFORMATION tab. It will show whether you are active or inactive. If you are an active member, you will see the validity date of your membership. On the other hand, you will get a reminder to renew if you are an inactive member. Just tap on the RENEW MEMBERSHIP HERE button to renew.
How to pay for Membership Renewal
- Open a new page in the app, and you will see that some fields are already filled out. You only need to encode your contract duration and job description.
- Press SUBMIT once you are done.
- You will have four payment options: Landbank/OFBank ATM card, Bancnet, Cash Payment, or other banks via PCHC PayGate.
- Once you have remitted the payment, you can check the membership status. It should appear as ACTIVE this time.
Guide on the different payment options
There are four payment options to choose from. Take note of the steps for each option.
Landbank/OFBank ATM card
- Type your account number, press SUBMIT
- Confirm the TERMS AND CONDITIONS and give the One-Time password sent to your registered phone number
- Encode the PIN of your ATM card, press submit
- Wait for the payment confirmation and notice of successful transaction
- Select Bancnet in the payment options
- Select your bank from the drop-down menu, and enter the ATM number. Check the details before pressing the SUBMIT button
- Wait for the confirmation that your payment is successful
Cash payment using payment facility
- You can pay in cash at the nearest payment center. But you need to present a printed copy of the transaction
- Use CASH PAYMENT in the app
- Choose your preferred payment method from the drop-down menu
- Check the details before processing the PROCEED button
- Print the transaction information, which you will then present to the payment facility
Payment using other banks
In case your bank is not included in the first two choices, you will choose this fourth option:
- For this option, choose which bank where you wish to pay
- Follow the instructions you will seem then finalize your purchase
- Wait for the confirmation that your payment is successful
Watch: How to register for the OWWA Mobile App
This video gives more information regarding the app. Watch how using the app can help make your transactions easier.
Disclaimer: The information posted here is based on the personal experiences that the OFW shared on the video. Please let this post serve as a guide only. If you have specific questions, you may ask the OFW by commenting on their video on their accounts.
Troubleshooting the app
Most Android users report seeing a blank screen when they open the app. It is probably due to a loading issue.
To solve this problem you can do the following:
- Close the recently opened program which is experiencing some issues. Try opening the program after a few minutes.
- Hard reboot the phone. Press POWER and HOME button at the same time for 10 minutes. You can turn on the phone after a few minutes.
- If you cannot reboot your phone, wait until the battery has drained. When there is no more power, you can plug it into a charger and press the ON button.
- If the app still does not work, you can uninstall and re-install it again. Your previous settings are usually saved when you re-install the app.
How else can you check your OWWA membership if you have no smartphone?
You can call the nearest OWWA office near you, to verify your membership. Find out the contact number of the POLO office, Be ready to provide details to help in the verification.
How to request financial assistance from OWWA
Go to PROGRAMS and SERVICES in your app to see what services you can avail of. You can apply for cash assistance or even avail of scholarship programs for your dependents. You can do all these by using your phone.
OWWA benefits for ex-OFW
Former OFWs can avail of medical assistance, rebate program, and loans. Keep your documents in order so you can present these when you request assistance.
OFWs are mandated to register with OWWA, especially when they begin their contract. In the past, members have to go to OWWA offices for their membership. But with the mobile app, most of these transactions can be done online.
The member has to register for the app first. Once they have registered, they can do their other transactions through their mobile phones.