A safety officer is an integral part of any organization. Since they are in demand, they can also expect a higher salary. The good news is that you can become a safety officer by completing a series of training courses.
ALSO READ: Planning to Going Home to Philippines for Good? Consider these Tips
There are plenty of opportunities for you as a safety officer, whether you are looking for employment locally or abroad. Find out how you can become one by reading this post.
Disclaimer: The information posted here is based on the personal experiences that the OFW shared on the video. Please let this post serve as a guide only. If you have specific questions, you may ask the OFW by commenting on their video on their accounts.
Video: A Guide on Becoming a Safety Officer
According to Indeed.com, the primary role of a safety officer is to identify safety programs and ensure that they are consistently followed. They regularly meet with the staff to discuss best practice.
On the YouTube channel of Joseph-Proud Little Magsasaka, we’ll find out how to become a safety officer. With this new line of work, you can expect to earn around Php 60,000 to 100,000. Even if you do not have a college degree, you can still become a safety officer through training and certification.
Our vlogger shares his journey to become a safety officer:
- A safety officer is in demand, especially in the construction industry
- Companies that build high-rise buildings will need plenty of safety officers
- A safety officer must have a high school diploma, a training certificate, and adequate work experience in safety.
- There are certified training agencies in Qatar that can provide the needed certification
- You can look up the accredited training center on the Internet
- After the training, you can avail of the open-book examination and take it online
Certifications Needed to Become a Safety Officer
- Fire Warden Training
- First Aid with CPR training
- Confined Space Entry training – this certificate is needed if you want to work in the oil and gas industry or drainage
- Hot Work Training – if you want to work in places where there is welding work, you will need a certificate for this training
- LOTO (Lock out Tag out) – this certificate is needed in oil and gas industry, the skill you will learn will come in handy if there are repair works
- Working at Height Training
- IOSH MS Training
- OSHA Training – this certificate will give you more credential
- Nebosh IGC 1, 2 & 3 – the updated name for this training is IGC 1 and 2
- Scaffolding Erection/Inspector – the knowledge you will get from this training will give you an added advantage in the workplace
- You will know how to construct scaffolding, which comes in handy when you are working in the construction industry
- If you know how scaffolding works, you will be able to prevent any errors in its construction
- Lifting Training – with this course, you will learn about lifting using tower cranes and other similar equipment
Advice to Job Seekers
The vlogger reminds job seekers to have courage when looking for opportunities as a safety officer. You should also exert more effort in sending your applications to companies. There are two options for applying. One is by sending your CV by email. Or you can also submit your credentials in-person to construction sites that are hiring. Some companies also conduct interviews immediately. It would be better to bring all your documents and other qualifications.
You can watch the full video here:
READ NEXT: Your Ultimate Guide to the FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar