Fans and visitors who are here in Qatar to watch the World Cup might find the Qatari thobe fascinating. You can see this traditional outfit worn by Qataris every day.
If you’ve ever been curious about wearing a thobe, you should know that even foreigners are welcome to do so. It is very easy to purchase a thobe around the city. Keep reading this post to learn more about the Qatari thobe.
These Shops Sell Qatari Thobe
The Qatari thobe is a white long-sleeved and ankle-length robe that men wear daily. Locals may choose to wear darker-colored thobes during the colder months. Sometimes, men wear the thobe with accessories such as a headdress (ghitra), cap (gahfiya), and black robe (igal and karakeesh).
If you are interested in getting your own thobe, you don’t have to look far to get one. Simply go to Souq Waqif to get ready-made thobe.Whether you want to wear the thobe or buy one as a souvenir, there are many stores to choose from. Here are the shops that you can visit:
Khayat Al Sayf
- Carries ready-to-wear thobes in different sizes. Bespoke thobes take about one to two days to create.
- Location: Shop #452 Souq Waqif
Al Bazaz For Tailor & Textiles
- Has ready-to-wear thobes in all sizes. For bespoke thobes, waiting time is one to two days.
- Location: Shop #453 Souq Waqif
Markaz Khayat Khaleej
- Offers both ready-to-wear and tailor-made thobes. The waiting time for tailor-made thobes takes up to two days.
- Location: Shop #405 Souq Waqif
- Living up to its name, this thobe store is in a corner in Souq Waqif. It offers thobe and other accessories at an affordable price.
- Location: Shop #448 Souq Waqif
Thobe is traditionally paired with leather slippers or sandals. But it is now acceptable to pair it with sneakers or formal shoes.
On the other hand, women can also wear an abaya even if they are non-Qatari. While black is the traditional color for Qatari women, non-locals can choose other colors if they want to wear an abaya.
Dos and Don’ts When Wearing the Thobe
The thobe is an important part of Middle Eastern culture. Like our Barong Tagalog, there are some rules that need to be followed when wearing the thobe.
- Put it on with pride
- Wear it properly
- It should be long enough to cover the waist and knees
- Wear it with a stain or crease
- Laughing or joking while putting it on
Men are always expected to wear shirts whenever they go out. But you are permitted to remove the shirt if you are at the beach. If you are wearing shorts, they should be long enough to cover the knees.
When going to government offices, men are required to wear pants and a shirt with sleeves. If your outfit does not cover your upper arms and legs, you will not be allowed inside.
Women are expected to always wear modest clothing. If you are visiting a government office or mosque, you will not be allowed inside if you are wearing shorts, skirts, or sleeveless blouses. In addition, you should cover your head if you visit mosques.
READ NEXT: How to Renew Your Hamad Health Card