Do you have awesome cooking skills? Then maybe you can find some work opportunities in Qatar.
Kitchen workers, depending on their skills and experience, will find suitable jobs and salaries abroad. But even if you are a beginner, you can still try to apply for some job that will suit you.
Different Work Opportunities in the Kitchen
Cooks and chefs are in demand abroad. If you think you have what it takes to work in a foreign country, then you can source job openings.
In this YouTube video from Steward Fuerzas, we will get an idea of how much you can expect to earn in Qatar. Of course, the salary scale mentioned is based on the vlogger’s experience. Job offers will vary from one company to another.
According to Steward Fuerzas, here is the kitchen hierarchy and their expected salary:
- Commis Chef 3 – 1,400 to 1,500 QAR
- Commis Chef 2 – 1,900 to 2,000 QAR
- Commis Chef 1 – 2,200 to 2,300 QAR
- Chef de Partie – 2,900 to 3,000 QAR
- Sous Chef – 3, 500 QAR
- Executive Chef – 10,000 QAR
The amount mentioned here is for the first contract. There will be a salary increase in succeeding contracts. The job contract is good for two years. It will be up to you if you want to renew your contract or not.
Our vlogger shares that some workers chose not to renew their contracts. Instead, they will find other job opportunities in Qatar as a local hire. As local hire, they can expect higher job offers as compared to those coming from their home countries.
Of course, getting another job as a local hire is only possible if the employer provides an OEC. After all, some employers send their employees back home at the end of their contracts.
These are just some of the options available for chefs or cooks in Qatar. Once again, these are based on the experience of our vlogger.
You can watch the full video here:
Get to Know the Different Responsibilities in the Kitchen
If you would like to pursue a career as a chef, find out what are the various job roles available:
- Commis chef is the role for those beginning their career in the culinary field. This staffer trains with the more experienced chef to get more knowledge and experience.
- Chef de Partie, or CDP, cooks the food that the customer eats. Each CDP is given one station or food category to cook. For example, one chef will cook seafood and another one will cook pastry.
- The sous chef is the second-in-command in the kitchen. This staff oversees daily kitchen activities. The sous chef is hands-on in running the kitchen.
- Executive chef is the role for the manager in the kitchen. This position also oversees kitchen operations, including the staff. The executive chef does not cook as much, because they are busy managing the kitchen. You can find an executive chef in large restaurants.
In other settings, some kitchens employ a purchasing manager, kitchen porter, and head chef. The setup will depend on the management and how large the kitchen is.
READ NEXT: Where Should OFWs Buy a House?