One of the job opportunities available in Qatar is as a maintenance staff. There are many establishments in the country, there are many job opening if you have the skill and capacity.
ALSO READ: How Much Does a Chef Earn In Qatar?
Most companies require the maintenance staff to know how to use an equipment and other power tools to get the task done. The staff is also responsible for conducting regular maintenance check up on equipment in the work site.
Disclaimer: The information posted here is based on the personal experiences shared by the OFW in the video. Please let this post serve as a guide only. If you have specific questions, you may ask the OFW by commenting on their video on their accounts.
All In a Day’s Work
If you want to work as a maintenance staff in Qatar, you might be curious what the daily workload is. In this YouTube video from LK Cagalitan, we will get a glimpse of a day in his workplace. Our vlogger works as a hotel maintenance staff.
The highlight of the vlog is as follows:
- Most workers get to their job site by shuttle
- The work of maintenance staff is never dull. Every day, when they report for work, their supervisor gives them the tasks for the day.
- They receive a job order which details the task they need to do
- Some assignments may be challenging. As we saw in the vlog, the kitchen area is quite narrow so it’s not easy to move about to do the repair. They also have to follow the dress code according to the work site.
- There is also urgency in doing the task, especially if the bulk of the people will arrive at a certain time. if the task cannot be accomplished on time. it will have to be rescheduled.
- It is also important to do the job order without creating too much mess.
- The maintenance staff might also be assigned to work on the swimming pool, air handling unit (AHU), steam boiler, and other equipment around the site.
- One of the easiest tasks of the maintenance staff is to change the busted light in the room.
- Maintenance staff should have a good work ethic. They need to manage their time effectively, because they can accomplish many other tasks during the day.
- Some job orders may require changing isolators found on the rooftop.
- It can also be challenging to work outside the building especially when the sun is up.
You can watch the full video here:
Skills Needed To Do Maintenance Work
Maintenance staff need to have the right skills to succeed in their job. According to Indeed.com, the soft and hard skills that the maintenance staff should possess are communication skills, ability to manage time, ability to diagnose problems. Most importantly, the maintenance staff needs strength, technical, and mechanical know-how.
There many job portals where you can find work as a maintenance staff. Some of the employers look for those with a few years of experience, especially on troubleshooting and maintenance. If you want to pursue this path, you might want to took at some technical seminars offered in the Philippines, especially in TESDA. You could even ask for scholarship or any assistance if you cannot afford the full training price. Meanwhile, you can apply for local jobs to get the needed experience and knowledge. Once you have the needed skills, you can now look for better opportunities.
READ NEXT: Where Should OFWs Buy a House?