One of the recent epidemics to affect people worldwide is the Coronavirus disease (Covid-19). This new type of respiratory illness emerged in late 2019 from China. Around 3,000 people have been infected in countries outside the country of origin.
At present, there have been three confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Qatar. To help contain the outbreak, Hamad Medical Corporation and the Ministry of Public Health have released information to the public.
Video: 5 Tips to Prevent Infection
Covid-19 is a type of respiratory disease that is transmitted through contact. It can be passed from human to human, and the illness may vary from mild to moderate symptoms. But those who seem more vulnerable are people with pre-existing conditions like high blood pressure, heart problem or diabetes.
In Qatar, there have been three reported cases of this disease. To provide the people with reliable information, Hamad Medical Corporation and the Ministry of Public Health created a website containing advice and other medical information from WHO.
The Infection Prevention and Control Division of Hamad Medical Corporation released a one-minute video discussing four ways on how to prevent the spread of infection.
— مؤسسة حمد الطبية (@HMC_Qatar) February 27, 2020
According to the presentation, here are the different ways to prevent infection from spreading:
- Wash your hands frequently with water and soap or with alcohol based hand rub
- Avoid touching your mouth, your eyes, your nose with dirty hand
- Avoid cross contact with any patient having respiratory illnesses
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough and sneeze and dispose the tissue in the proper place
- If you develop symptoms, stay home. Avoid close contact until free from symptoms.
Aside from the video presentation, the hospital’s infection control team is sharing information to the public by setting up a booth in the City Center Mall. This projects aims to raise awareness to the community. The infection control team gave advice and leaflets on how to protect one’s self and the people around them from infection.
The tips they gave out were:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water or use alcohol hand sanitizer, particularly after touching objects when you are outside or after shaking hands
- Cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze, and dispose used tissues
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with your hands
- Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illnesses
- If you experience symptoms including cough, sneezing, and fever, limit your contact with other people.
Covid-19 is a serious matter. But when the public is armed with correct information, there should be no reason to panic.