Taking care of one’s health is very important. In Qatar, the Hamad Hospital is the principal public healthcare provider where everyone can go for consultation or for emergency procedures. The Hamad Health card is needed to access the facilities and subsidize the cost of treatment.
Both Qatar nationals and residents can apply for a Hamad Health card. It can be used in the Hamad hospitals such as in Al Wakra and Al Khor.
Applying for a Hamad Health Card is Easy
In order to get subsidized hospital services in Hamad Hospital and health facilities, one needs to apply for a Hamad Health card. The first step is to go to the nearest Primary Health Care Center (PHCC) where one lives. Then fill out forms and receive the PHCC file number. The PHCC may already give the card or will advice the applicant to come back another day. Application for the health card is done during morning working hours only. Credit card is the preferred mode of payment.
Aside from utility bills, these documents need to be presented when applying for a health card:
- Qatari adults – copies of passport or ID, one passport-size photograph and payment of QR50
- Qatari children – birth certificate with Qatar personal identity number or passport, one passport-size photograph, vaccination card (if this is the first time to apply for a health card) and payment of QR50
- GCC National Adult Residents – copies of passport or ID with Qatar personal identity number, one passport-size photograph, old health card (for renewal of application) and payment of QR50
- GCC National Child Residents – Birth certificate or passport with Qatar personal identity number, one passport-size photograph, vaccination card (for initial issue of card to children born in Qatar), old health card (for renewal of application) and payment of QR 50
- Adult residents – Valid Qatar ID (QID) or passport with valid residence permit, one passport-size photograph and payment of QR100
- Children – passport with valid residence permit, one passport-size photograph, vaccination card (for those applying for the first time, or born in Qatar or who had vaccinations in Qatar) and payment of QR100
- Domestic staff – valid passport with a valid residence permit, one passport-size photograph, original QID of sponsor and payment of QR50
Some companies facilitate the application of the health card for their employees. It would be best to first check with the company before applying for a card.
Renewing of Health Card
These are the things to remember on how to renew the health card
- Can be done at all HMC hospitals, proceed to the Patient and Visitor Service Center for instructions
- Can also be renewed online through Hukoomi (http://portal.www.gov.qa)
- In case of loss of a valid card, replacement fee is QR 50 for Qataris and QR100 for non-Qataris
- In case of loss of an expired card, replacement fee is QR100 for Qataris and QR200 for non-Qataris